The Miraculous Sunday

My life and why I love it in just six simple pictures.

Sure, there's things I want and things I fear are missing, even obsess over. True, many adventures and trials lay ahead. And yes, at times tiny whispers of ghosts from my past haunt me.

But today; well, today is f*$@ing fantastic......


After hanging out some washing, I bent over to give my kitty, Shadow, a pat and noticed these perfect wee yellow flowers amongst the clover in my yard. Taking a cue from Shadow-cat who continually teaches me to simply sit and be, sans anxiety about what I ought to be doing to be a productive human, I pulled up some yard to gently graze my hands over the soft clover and appreciate the tiny beauty right outside of my back door.

After my brief respite I picked up a bit of rubbish that had found its way into my yard. Upon lifting the lid of my bin, I had a surprise, there was a Monti (aka praying mantis) sitting on the top bag. It honestly looked like it had precisely positioned itself there to exclaim, surprise!, laying in wait and giddy anticipation. I laughed out loud, absolutely delighted. My love and reverence for Montis is nothing I could ever hope to convey to others, it is something sacred to me and my spirituality



Anyway, I told the Monti it couldn't possibly stay in the bin, and it knew that too, so it happily climbed onto my hand and we looked for a comfy place for it to spend the day. I first took Monti to the lemon tree, but what's this? There was already one in the lemon tree; Monti #2! We all decided Monti #1 needed its own posi, so I took it over to the lime tree.


Apologies, Monti #1 wasn't too keen to have a good picture taken, but here it is in the lime tree to pass this gorgeous fall day.


Smiling ear to ear, feeling blessed at having seen two Montis, I returned to the back yard and spotted Monti #3 on the rear of the shed! What joy! I was going to move it, but since it wasn't too hot decided to leave it to whatever adventure it was on.


I made it only a few steps before my eyes fell upon Monti #4 having a snooze on the back fence, no doubt tired from it's obvious parturiency. What is also obvious is that this is a different species of Monti. and brings the number of Monti varieties at my abode to 3, since the one I found sitting on my handrail the other day was something altogether different. I can tell from their abdomens, like fruit flies that's the distinguishing attribute. I won't explain here, but I know drosophila very well, simulan and melanogaster best; even able to determine whether it's male or female (thanks to graduate research).

I'd understand if people thought I was a bit of a nutter, getting so excited at seeing four praying mantises in one day. In truth, I spend a considerable amount of time looking for Montis around my house. It's an oddity I absolutely love about myself, as I 'coincidentally' stated on FB yesterday. These simple pleasures and everyday miracles have replaced nearly constant stress and anxiety. I have no apologies to offer, which more than anything indicates, at least to me, its 100% pure Summer; authentic.

FYI
Note 'leafy' looking abdomen

Original Publication Date 31 March 2019, Revised 02 December 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment